Inspired by a member of our church who was undergoing chemotherapy, we make hats for cancer patients coping with hair loss due to chemotherapy. All hats are being donated to local hospitals and cancer centers and are being given freely to people taking treatment for cancer.
Everybody who makes and donates hats is asked to abide by the following:
- Must be new – never worn
- Clean – free of perfume, pet hair and smoke
- Soft yarn is best- cotton, acrylic, silk, fleece or a blend is best. Do not use wool or alpaca as they can irritate the scalp.
- Hats containing wool need to be noticeable marked.
- Please use patterns that do not have gaps or large holes. A tighter stitch is best so that it covers the scalp.
- Be sure to wash your hands on a regular basis while making the caps.
- Baby, children, youth, and adult hats are accepted.
Any pattern you like may be used. For this purpose, proven and tested pattern
can be found on the internet for example at
- We also have printed copies available.
Prior to donating
Each cap is tagged with a scripture card and placed individually in a clear ziplock style plastic bag . Thank you to Crochet for Cancer, Inc. for letting us use their guidelines!
Join us –we meet: first and third Thursday evenings 7 – 8 pm